Sunday 13 March 2011

Are teachers scared of learning something new?


We are surrounded by technology everyday, even now I am sitting at my computer, the majority of us depend upon it. However why are we so reluctant to use technology in our classroom’s. Whilst reading a blog "Don’t Hesitate" I found out some of the statistics regarding teachers and how they use technologies, or even if they do. What I found most shocking is that even the teachers who knew how to use technology generally only used it for admin purposes, and not within the curriculum. Are teachers scared of learning something new? Even though it is the primary goal for their students. It is vital for teachers to stay up to date with technology, it is no good any more preparing students for a world that existed 10 or even 5 years ago, the world has adapted to technology but will you as a teacher? I found a YOUTUBE post put it perfectly when stating that the issue is no longer if technologies will be used in the classroom, it is how they will be used. I was pleased to find out that this issue has been noticed by the Australian Learning and Teaching Council, they are funding a project to provide pre-service teachers such as myself the opportunity to learn how to implement technology appropriately and effectively alongside the curriculum, allowing our students to learn in an “interactive, technology rich environment”, which I believe is essential for equipping the future generations for the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment