Monday 4 April 2011

Our special guest

Today in my professional experience class we had a special guest. So I prepared my self for a guest to be standing in the Mac Lab, however when I arrived Carmel (the guest speaker) was up on the big screen via Skype, I was a little impressed. 


This lesson prompted me to reflect upon my prac last year, I had forgotten that my class had infact had a video conference with a famous author. The author spoke to not only my year 2 but five other schools were involved too, the students were so excited and loved seeing themselves projected up on to the big screen, however they soon calmed down and listened intently. We had shared question time at the end of the session two students were selected and in a big voice asked the questions. I found this a great experience the students felt as though they had an excursion however it only took an hour out of the school day, by no means does it replace having a real guest or going on an excursion but it does provide a great and different experience.


However today's guest speaker was not with us to speak about video conferencing but digital story telling and how to intergrate these into the curriculum. Carmel provided us with a great insight into teaching students how to develop their own digital story. Carmel's visit today was a very valuable experience and I intend to put her methods into practice in my next prac, I do have Kindergarten though so wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment